Parkinson Management for TCM Prevention & Functional Improvement
We launched the TCM research Study Acupuncture treatment for Parkinson’s Disease in March 2022. You can support this project here: Donate Now.
What is Parkinson’s disease(PD)?
It is a brain disorder or movement disorder that leads to shaking, stiffness, rigidity and difficulty with walking, balance, and coordination.
Signs and Symptoms:
- A tremor, or shaking, usually begins in a limb, often your hand or fingers
- Slowed movement (bradykinesia)
- Rigid muscles.
- Impaired posture and balance.
- Loss of automatic movements.
- Speech changes.
- Writing changes.
- Other symptoms may include depression and other emotional changes; difficulty swallowing, chewing; urinary problems or constipation; skin problems; and sleep disruptions.
Who may have it?
Both men and women can have Parkinson’s disease. However, the disease affects about 50 percent more men than women.
What are the causes?
On the west medicion view:
- Gene mutations
More details here.
On the TCM view
- Liver yin deficiency.
- Kidney yin deficiency.
- Dry blood that generates wind.
- Gallbladder wind phlegm.
- Spleen yang/Kidney yang/blood deficiency.
- External brain injuries that caused stagnation/stasis of Qi/blood.
Why choose acupuncture for treating Parkinson’s diseases?
If the conventional medications/treatments of Parkinson’s disease do not meet your needs, you may choose acupuncture. Talk to your Doctor before you switch to a new treatment is always recommended.
How does acupuncture work for Parkinson’s disease?
- Its efficacy, safety and drug free treatment.
- It is a technique that stimulates the strategic acupoints on the meridian with acupuncture needles to raise the flow of Qi and Blood, therefore help balancing the Yin-Yang that brings the harmony of the Mind-body
- In TCM view, Parkinson’s disease is treated as a state of stagnation of Qi/Stasis,or dry blood or deficiency or excess that causes wind or wind phlegm , it may be accompanied with complexions for servel cases. Since the Liver meridian, Gallbladder meridian,Kidney meridian and Spleen meridian generate wind,phlegm and muscle atrophy, the four meridiana are primarily affected.
- Specifically, acupuncture treatment is to open the liver/Gallbladder/Spleen/Kidney meridians, raise the Qi smooth flow, resolve the phlegms, tonify the Yin/Yang/Blood, expel the blood stasis in severe cases to restore the balance of the Mindbody.
Financial Coverage: Insurance covered plan, low income discount, or free of charge for such treatments through the program for Howard County residents in 2022. Call for an appointment to see if you are eligible. (It will depend on the financial situation additional services can be added or reduced in 2022.)